3 June 2015 – Sugar Australia – Yarraville Refinery – Melbourne
Over the last decade, a perfect storm has gathered to challenge our food safety systems. The storm includes new disease agents; an increasingly globalized food supply chain; changes in population; and new dietary patterns and demands. Consumers are now red- hot over labeling, food sources and quality.
This is an opportunity for Food Safety and Quality personnel to come together to share your experiences.
The session will be lead by Ruth Oakley – a very knowledgeable consultant who has many years of global experience in this area. Ruth will be aiming to foster a discussion on how participants do internal audits at their own organisation, reporting tools used, success stories.
Topics will cover:
- Discussion on what participants are aiming to get out of the day
- Debate on verification – differences between verification and validation.
- Different methods of verification – how they can be used to tell us if theFood Safety System is working….or not!
- Types of data that can be used.
- Internal audits as verification tools, both system and compliance.
Plant Tour and Audit
As part of the day participants will do a tour of the Yarraville plant and examine some aspects of their food safety systems – e.g. cleaning and sanitation, Plant GMP, Personnel GMP in an area of the plant
Participant Pre- Preparation
Participants are asked to prepare a 5-minute presentation (with bullet points on a single flip chart) to share with the group
• What has been the most effective tool you have used to help improve Food Safety in your plant?
• Why do you think it worked?
• If you did it again, would you do anything differently?
Sugar Australia – Yarraville Refinery
Sugar Australia’s Yarraville Refinery in Melbourne is Australia’s longest- established sugar refinery. Many modifications have been made to the site and process over the years to provide efficient and highly-automated production and packaging of a broad range of refined sugar products. The Yarraville Refinery can produce up to 300,000 tonnes per annum. Raw sugar for the Yarraville refinery is sourced from Queensland where it has been milled from Australian -grown sugar cane.
A substantial amount of refined sugar is delivered to customers in bulk road tankers in both crystal and liquid form. Yarraville produces a wide range of packaged sugar products including retail 1kg and 2kg white sugar in paper packets, retail white sugar in plastic packets, 15kg bags for the food service industry, 25kg bags and 1 tonne bulk bags for industrial customers, liquid sugar, invert syrup, golden syrup, treacle and brown sugars in a range of retail and industrial pack sizes.
Facilitator -Ruth Oakley
- 35 years experience in Quality and Food Safety management
- Has worked with organisations including Schweppes, Cadbury, Coca Cola, Mars, Mondelez,Amcor, Orora.
- Held national Quality and Food Safety roles for global beverage and food packagingmanufacturers.
- 10 years experience in 3rd party certification food safety audits for packaging manufacturersand global food companies in Asia and Oceania.
- Experience of many different approaches, “the good, the bad and the ugly”!
Food Safety Specialists ,Quality Managers, Plant personnel and Continuous Improvement Leaders