Location Shanghai, China
This customer is a global organisation providing a wide range of services to users across the organisation. In China, a core team of IT professionals – organized in functionally based User Care Teams – coordinates the IT helpdesk services.
It often takes too long for them to solve problems, and in some cases the issues are closed even before they have actually been fixed. Problems frequently occur in the handover of other issues among service providers (e.g. between applications, hardware and network support), which lead to an excessive delays and tickets being closed when the issue is not resolved. Therefore, our customer and TXM have selected an IT helpdesk service as a pilot area to implement the Lean program.
The main problems they face include:
- Users can not submit the mobile service requests and the right information through the right channels,
- Service requests are processed once a month, and the longest lead time is 45 days,
- The lead time of the requests for mobile phones and non-standard hardware is too long,
- Different providers have different service plans, and different cities have different usages,
- It is difficult for users to find the right service category,
- Internal staff have low satisfaction with IT services.
TXM used its proven Business Process Value Stream Mapping and A3 Structured Problem Solving methodologies to analyze and improve the IT Helpdesk Support processes, including the Lean Thinking Training, the IT Process Value Stream Analysis, the Problem Solving Workshop, the A3 Implementation Training and so on.
- Lean Thinking Training: TXM conducted a Lean workshop for the company, introducing the concepts and the principles of Lean and the Value Stream Analysis method.
- Business Process VSM Analysis: TXM completed the current state and the future state of the VSM, developed a detailed action plan and weekly reviewed the implementation together with the management team.
- Implementation of a number of Lean Tools: the company applied the concept of continuous flow to reduce the batch processing and eliminate the waste during the process. Through the standard work, communication errors and ambiguities were also reduced.
- A 69.2% reduction in the lead time of service requests for mobile phone,
- A 71.4% reduction in the lead time of non-standard hardware,
- A 56.7% reduction in user dissatisfaction.