Client Saint Gobain
Location Shanghai, China
This global leading abrasives manufacturer is the largest global abrasive supplier for bonded, coated, non-woven and super abrasives as well as for diamonds and equipment products for the industrial, construction, automotive repair sectors, and for the do-it-yourself market. The company requested that TXM provide assistance to implement a Lean transformation program to improve the levels of customer service and the internal management for their plants.
The 2,500T machine is a critical asset for the plant yet with the poor performance. There was a backlog of over 1,600 pieces (30 days) waiting for processing on this machine. The plant attempted to conduct a TPM pilot program for the 2500T machine, but with limited results, it can’t be a benchmark for the plant.
TXM helped the plant to implement an autonomous maintenance in the pilot area of the 2500T machine, established a daily tag management process, and implemented the 5S and the visual management.
- Using the TXM’s Seven Abnormalities Detection List, while implementing the initial cleaning on site, to coach and help employees to detect hundreds of abnormalities (defects);
- Established a Standard Operating Procedure for the tag management, so the front-line employees and the maintenance team jointly tagged and removed tags to find and solve daily problems in advance;
Established an AM checklist for the 2500T machines, including three categories of inspection, cleaning and lubricating, and created autonomous maintenance standard work;
- Implemented the 5S and a visual management to help strengthen the daily management of the 2500T area;
- Established TPM activity board to manage TPM activities and track KPI status.
- Through the implementation of the TPM project for the 2500T machines, 5S has improved significantly, achieving a 194% increase in 5S review score and a 315% increase in equipment MTBF;
- The active engagement of the front-line employees helped to improve the daily management, creating 90 new tags monthly (the target was 60), and reaching an on-time resolution rate of 95% (the target was 87.5%)
- Employees came to an awareness of the Total Maintenance and developed good habits;
- Accepted by the employees and leaders, the project has then been extended to other areas of the plant.
TPM (Total Productive Maintenance) Activity Board.